Nigeria has a booming construction industry, and cement is a vital component in building construction. There are several cement manufacturing companies in Nigeria, and the most popular ones are Dangote Cement, Lafarge Africa, BUA Cement, and others. These companies produce different types of cement, including ordinary Portland cement (OPC), Portland limestone cement (PLC), and Portland pozzolana cement (PPC), among others.
The process of building with cement in Nigeria typically involves the following steps:
- Foundation: The foundation is the first stage of building construction, and it involves excavating the ground and laying a concrete foundation. The foundation is critical because it provides the base for the rest of the building.
- Walls: The next stage involves building the walls with cement blocks. Cement blocks are made by mixing cement, sand, and water and pouring the mixture into a mold. The blocks are left to dry before they are used for building construction.
- Roof: The roof is the next stage of building construction, and it involves constructing the roof structure with timber or metal. The roof is then covered with roofing sheets or tiles.
- Finishing: The final stage involves finishing the building with plastering, painting, tiling, and other decorative finishes.
Method of buying Cement in Nigeria
There are several methods of buying cement in Nigeria, and they include:
- Buying from the Manufacturer: The most common method of buying cement in Nigeria is from the manufacturer. Cement manufacturing companies such as Dangote Cement, Lafarge Africa, and BUA Cement have sales outlets in various parts of the country where customers can purchase cement directly from the manufacturer.
- Buying from Distributors: Cement distributors are intermediaries between the manufacturer and the customer. They buy cement in bulk from the manufacturer and sell it to retailers and end-users. Cement distributors are found in many parts of Nigeria, and they offer delivery services to customers who order in bulk.
- Buying from Retailers: Cement retailers are small businesses that sell cement to end-users in smaller quantities. They are usually located in markets, building materials stores, or hardware stores. Retailers offer the convenience of buying cement in smaller quantities, but their prices may be slightly higher than buying directly from the manufacturer or distributor.
- Online Ordering: In recent years, buying cement online has become more popular in Nigeria. Many cement manufacturers and distributors have online platforms where customers can place orders and pay online. The cement is then delivered to the customer’s preferred location.
When buying cement in Nigeria, it is important to ensure that the cement is of good quality and meets the required standards. The Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON) has established standards for cement in the country, and customers should look for the SON certification mark when buying cement to ensure that it meets the required standards.
Brands of Cement in Nigeria
There are several cement brands in Nigeria, and the most popular ones include:
- Dangote Cement: Dangote Cement is the largest cement manufacturer in Nigeria and is known for producing high-quality cement products. The company produces different types of cement, including ordinary Portland cement (OPC), Portland limestone cement (PLC), and Portland pozzolana cement (PPC), among others.
- Lafarge Africa: Lafarge Africa is another leading cement manufacturer in Nigeria and produces a wide range of cement products, including Elephant Cement, Lafarge Cement, and Supaset Cement.
- BUA Cement: BUA Cement is a relatively new entrant into the Nigerian cement market but has quickly gained a reputation for producing high-quality cement products. The company produces different types of cement, including BUA Cement 32.5, BUA Cement 42.5, and BUA Cement 52.5.
- Ashaka Cement: Ashaka Cement is a subsidiary of Lafarge Africa and produces high-quality cement products that are used in building construction.
- Ibeto Cement: Ibeto Cement is a Nigerian-owned cement manufacturer that produces high-quality cement products under the Ibeto brand.
- Unicem: Unicem is a joint venture between Lafarge Africa and Holcim and produces high-quality cement products that are used in building construction.
These cement brands are readily available in various parts of Nigeria and can be purchased directly from manufacturers, distributors, or retailers. When buying cement, it is important to ensure that it is of good quality and meets the required standards to ensure the safety and durability of building construction.
Prices of Cement in Nigeria
The prices of cement in Nigeria may vary depending on the brand, location, and market forces. However, as of March 2023, here is an estimated price range of cement in Nigeria:
|Cement brands/companies||Retail price per 50kg||Wholesale price (600 bags) of 50kg.|
|Dangote Cement||₦4,200||₦2,350,000 – N2,450,000|
|Ashaka Cement||₦4,000||₦2,300,000 – N2,450,000|
|Eagle Cement||₦4,100||₦2,200,000 – N2,400,000|
|BUA Cement||₦4,000||₦2,250,000 – N2,400,000|
|Ibeto Cement||₦4,100||₦2,200,000 – N2,400,000|
|Elephant Cement [WAPCO]||₦4,100||₦2,250,000 – N2,400,000|
Please note that these prices are subject to change and may differ based on the location and other market factors. It is advisable to confirm the current prices from the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer before purchasing.
Type of Cement to buy and use in Nigeria
The type of cement to buy and use in Nigeria will depend on the specific needs of your construction project. The most commonly used types of cement in Nigeria include:
- Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC): OPC is the most widely used type of cement in Nigeria and is suitable for most construction projects, including residential and commercial buildings, roads, bridges, and other infrastructure.
- Portland Limestone Cement (PLC): PLC is a type of cement that contains up to 35% limestone, which reduces the carbon footprint of cement production. It is suitable for use in most construction projects, including residential and commercial buildings, roads, and bridges.
- Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC): PPC is a type of cement that contains pozzolanic materials such as fly ash or volcanic ash, which increases the durability and strength of the cement. It is suitable for use in high-strength concrete, bridges, and other infrastructure projects.
- White Cement: White cement is a specialized type of cement that is used for decorative purposes, such as making sculptures, molding, and castings. It is also suitable for use in tile adhesive and grout.
When buying cement in Nigeria, it is important to ensure that it meets the required standards, which are established by the Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON). Customers should look for the SON certification mark on the cement bag to ensure that it meets the required standards.